It is known that Carboneras has been inhabited from the XVI century. The marquis of Carpio, Don Diego López of Haro, ordered the construction of castle of San Andrés in order to avoid the Christian smuggling.
Traditionally, the population of Carboneras has been dedicated to mainly fishing, although in some inland areas, they also practised agriculture and livestock farming. However, mining, the hydroelectric industry and tourism have changed the sources of wealth of Carboneras, and the town has become a service sector.
Opposite the town, you will find the Natural Monument Isla de San Andrés.
The closest town in the Natural Park of Cabo de Gata is Agua Amarga.
What to see in Carboneras, visits of interés
The Castle of San Andrés is a building constructed by the Marquis of Carpio, in the XIV century, by order of King Philip the II. It is a solid quadrangular masonry construction, situated in the centre of the town. It was built in order to defend the coast from the Berber attacks and the Moorish uprising.
La Torre de la Mesa de Roldán is a watch tower constructed around 1497. In 1764, Kind Charles III regained it´s use.
La Playa de los Muertos (the beach of the dead), is one of the most well known beaches of the coast of Cabo de Gata. Behind it´s sad name there hides one of the most beautiful corners of the Mediterranean.
We have the following beaches: Playa de la Galera, Playa de El Ancón, Playa de los Cocones, Playa de las Martinicas, Playa del Corral, Playa de las Salinas and many more hidden coves that feel like little havens of peace.